Tuesday, September 7, 2010

From Potties to Prayers

I'd have to say that, as a parent, one of my most exciting phases of parenthood was when Hannah finally said "adiós" to the pull-ups, pampers, and pee-pee sheets. A milestone had been passed and freedom was the reward. Freedom for Hannah, and freedom for us. No longer would we have to travel with a huge diaper bag and extra sets of clothes in tow.

Conversely, I'd also have to say that one of my most frustrating phases of parenthood is currently watching Nick return to his first love - the pull-up. Both Elizabeth and I have tried the 3-day method. The 2-day method (I highly recommend a power washer, blindfold, and nose plugs for this one). The 10-day method. The bribe them with anything that talks, crawls, or tastes good method. The punish them from anything that talks, crawls, or tastes good method. We're currently on the 99-day method. (If you're interested, it'll be in stores and on Amazon.com very soon.) This particular method involves banging your head on the wall (mine, not his), pleading and crying (once again, me), and ridiculous attempts to rationalize and present logic to a 3-year-old.

We'll do really good for about 2-3 days, then he'll turn into an indoor sprinkler for 5-6 more.

That's what is so frustrating. It's not that he doesn't know what to do...he does. It's not that he doesn't have the capacity to tie-it-in-a-knot...he does. It's not that he can't tell it's coming and do something about...he can. I know what you're saying..."he's only 3 give him a break!" Okay, you come do our laundry.

But, it's not even the laundry. Or the smell. Or even the mess. It's knowing that he's missing out on something that Hannah's experienced and that we know is better for him...(all together in your best William Wallace voice) FREEDOM!. We know that he's missing out on something beneficial and succumbing to something primal.

Man, I come down so hard on him, sometimes.

Then, it hits me. (Not literally, that'd be gross.) But, I'm tearing my son a new one for what I still haven't learned in all my years. That God is shaking me, pleading with me, crying for me, dying for me to make the right choice, when I feel the urge to lose my self-control. When given the choice I all-to-often relinquish self-control and give in to my urges. And what am I squandering, just like Nick...FREEDOM (in Christ, that is). Not to be bound by this world, this sin any longer.

Unfortunately, it's taking me longer to work through this. I'll let you know how it works out for both of us. I'm currently on the 36-year plan.

2 comments:

  1. Bro -- we had a friend over the other day whose kid (who is the same age as our little girl who is 2 1/2 years old) potty trained their little girl on the 3 day method. Jennifer tried the 3 day method as diligently as anyone...and it did not work as advertised. In fact, my little girl rebelled and crapped herself more often. Depending on how your "99 day method" sales at Barnes & Noble, we might trump you with the "199 Day Method" for lazier and less successful parents -- Great blog bro..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it-the blog, not the situation. Boys tend to be too busy; afraid they will miss out on something if they leave the room. It kind of has to be their idea (a trait that follows them all the way through adulthood, or so I hear).

    I worried too if we would get kicked out of kindergarten, middle school, college, etc. for not knowing the basics.

    But it comes in time. You give up and he gives in.

    Then you are free to move on to the next step in Parental Worries, Chapters 50 - 99. That, my friend, is what they call the Lifetime Plan.

    ReplyDelete